- House Rabbit Society educators are responsible for: Working with local shelters to help them with their rescue and adoption programs. Educating the public through distributing educational handouts, holding educational seminars, and working with shelters and veterinarians.
- Operating a phone help line to help local people with health and behavior questions
- Cultivating a referral list of veterinarians who safely work with rabbits in your area.
- Providing assistance with helping people to find homes for their unwanted rabbits, and with helping others to adopt needy rabbits.
- Spreading the HRS message of spay/neuter, indoor living, and other basic tenets.
- Fill out a year-end report detailing your activities.
- Sign the HRS Educators Code-of-conduct and agree to uphold it for as long as you are an HRS Volunteer. (You can download a copy of the Code to your computer by clicking here)
- Volunteer on projects that help the House Rabbit Society directly (in addition to time spent working on local or regional volunteer activities.)
EDUCATOR BENEFITSIf you are already actively working to educate on rabbit care, workingas a licensed House Rabbit Society educator has many benefits:
- Access to a knowledgeable and welcoming online community. House Rabbit Society maintains several online discussion forums available only to licensed educators. These forums are a wonderful place to share and exchange knowledge with over 100 other licensed educators who all have a shared philosophy and purpose.
- House Rabbit Society’s reputation. As a licensed educator, you are empowered to speak on behalf of our organization. Our name is well known and respected in the animal rescue world and across the Internet.
- Access to our wide variety of education materials.
Once started, this application must be fully completed in one session. Although there is not a time limit for completing the application, the application is very long and has numerous essay-type questions that require careful thought.
For a complete list of all the questions visit here to download them as an RTF file. We recommend you use this document to compose and spell check your application. Once you are satisfied with your answers, please revisit this site and cut and paste your answers into the application.
Please take your time to read and thoroughly answer the questions on the following pages. This application was designed to get to know you and your approaches to public education, as well as demonstrate your knowledge of domestic rabbit behavior and care.